The Review, The Bookstore, and Machetes

This is a bit of a grab bag of a posting, yard apes, so bear with me wile I dig around in it...

First up, I should take a moment to thank Jessica Strider, whose review of Eutopia: A Novel of Terrible Optimism went live today at SF Signal. She likes it fine as a horror story, but not for the monsters. She writes:

"For a novel that has such a horrifying supernatural creature at the heart of it, the true terror of the book was contained in the historically accurate parts. It's hard to be afraid of made up monsters when the Klan and practicing eugenicists show up. Indeed, when you see the unrepentant Mrs Frost and delusional Dr. Bergstrom own up to their crimes, no fictional monster could possibly stand up to the horrors humans are willing to perpetrate on each other."
 The whole review is posted at SF Revue, right here.

The book itself, meanwhile, is a little slow making its way to bookstores in Toronto (although I have it on good authority that it's well-shelved in Barnes and Noble and Borders stores in the U.S.). Yesterday, however, Bakka-Phoenix Books in Toronto got 10 copies in, and I made it by to sign them all just before closing. I expect there will still be some left by the time you get there.

Also: it looks as though the ChiZine Publications blog has finally dared to post my favourite World Horror Convention memory -- the story of me, and Joe, and machetes. Not for the faint of heart.

Labels: , ,